Fort Dix U.S. army training center was est. June 1917 as Camp Dix and named for U.S. statesman John A. Dix. March 8,1939 it was made a permanent garrison and renamed Fort Dix. During World War II, Fort Dix was the largest army training center in the country. Ft. Dix is used mainly to train Army National Guard and Army reserve units. The largest federal penitentiary in the country and a state prison are also housed on the grounds as well as the Atlantic strike team of the US Coast Guard. McGuire Air Force Base, borders Ft. Dix.
The installation covers 31,110 acres and contains built-up areas (cantonment, hospital, housing, administrative buildings, etc.), training areas, and a test range. Fort Dix's mission is to provide supervision, training, guidance, financial management, administrative and logistical support, and other services and support activities.
Ft. Dix location also plays a key role in the post's continued importance as a Power Projection Platform. Fort Dix is located in the center of air, road and rail networks. Fort Dix is located about 17 miles southeast of New Jersey's capital, Trenton. Fort Dix shares a fence line with McGuire Air Force Base and the Naval Air Engineering Station in Lakehurst, NJ. With McGuire Air Force Base right next door and top-notch facilities just up the road in Bayonne, Fort Dix has always been an obvious choice for deploying soldiers and equipment to any theater of operations. More than a quarter of the nation's U.S. Army Reserve and National Guard units are stationed within a 200 mile radius of Fort Dix.
Fort Dix will join Mcguire AFB and Lakehurst Naval Air Engineering Station to become the nations first joint base.